Whether your 4th of July celebration will involve fireworks, grilling, or going to the beach, we have a list of easy-to-follow safety tips for you.
Top 4 Safety Tips for a Responsible Holiday Celebration1. Grilling Safety:
- Always follow manufacturer’s instructions when using a grill,
- Keep the grill away from anything that could catch fire: your house, deck, trees, etc.,
- Never grill indoors,
- Never leave a grill unattended when in use,
- Make sure everyone stays away from the grill,
- Use tools specifically designed for grilling to stay safe while cooking,
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
- Limit exposure to direct sunlight especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.,
- Wear sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 50,
- Wear protective sunglasses that will absorb 100 % of UV sunlight,
- Wear a hat or stay in the shade as much as possible.
- Stay indoors during the heat wave,
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of fresh cold water regularly, and drinks with electrolytes when possible,
- Wear a ventilated, protective hat, and watch for signs of a heat stroke: red/hot skin; rapid, weak pulse, and shallow breathing,
- Get the first aid kit ready for any emergency situation, regularly check the expiration date of your medical supplies, and discard the expired ones.
- Both OSHA and FEMA are urging people to remember to take fire and burn safety precautions when celebrating the 4th of July with fireworks: OSHA.gov
- Download OSHA Poster: Fireworks Safety