Holidays are wonderful when we share a meal with our friends and family. It can be a quiet peaceful time, filled with joy, but according to the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving is also the number one day for fire danger. Most of these fires are a result of the use of candles and also home-cooking gone wrong, destroying hundreds of homes every year. Luckily, this kind of disaster is easily preventable.
Here are some basic safety tips:
- Check smoke alarms, and install the new ones if needed.
- Remove fire hazards: no unattended candles, no kitchen towels, and mittens near the stove.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and if frying a turkey outside, bring one out there!
- Avoid toxic gas build-up to prevent poisoning. If you are using a natural gas or propane stove, be careful of a carbon monoxide (CO) build-up inside your home.